Tuesday 29th November 2016 is #GivingTuesday, a global day of giving following the consumer driven Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It’s a chance to give something back after all that shopping!
Our young people need support and career advice to keep aspirations high! Help us give them the #LifeChances they need.
Over the next 6 months, we’ll be delivering 9 inspirational seminars to over 800 pupils, bringing over 100 Positive Role Models to schools to give career advice and inspiring young people to achieve. A 2014 Chamber of Commerce reported 46% of businesses said there was a lack of careers advice available for young people, together we can change that.
Urban Synergy is a registered charity, any donations you make will go a long way. Giving is easy using Virgin Money Giving, and Gift Aid will boost your donations even further.
This Giving Tuesday, help us raise the profile of Urban Synergy, share this post on social media, tell your friends and workmates what we do and get more people involved!
Over 75% of children in the borough are from ethnic minorities, many are disadvantaged and lack social mobility especially when from low income backgrounds. Without good career advice, aspirations are low with just 51% of children achieving 5 or more A-C GCSE grades (including English & Maths) in Lewisham, that’s second from bottom in London. Only 67% of secondary schools are rated Good/Outstanding (third from bottom), consequently youth unemployment at 7% is second highest in London with 44% of 19 year-olds lacking A level or equivalent qualifications.
Urban Synergy seeks to reverse this trend. Our network of role models and mentors is able to offer the support and opportunities to many disadvantaged young people across the Lewisham borough.
How can I help?
It’s not just during #GivingTuesday, we urgently need additional funding to support the increasing demands for our services. In addition we are seeking more Positive Role Models, Mentors and opportunities for young people.
- Fundraise – Running a marathon, sponsored bike ride, need a community charity for your company? Why not support Urban Synergy?
- Role Models and Mentors – Can you inspire young people to achieve their best? Be part of our Role Model seminars or apply to mentor a young person.
- Work Experience – Do you have work experience or work shadowing opportunities available?
- Event hosting – Seminars and workshops hosted at corporates have a massive impact on young people.
- Volunteer – Can you offer professional services like marketing, digital design, social media expertise?
Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our Contact Us page
Watch our new testimonial video, mentors, mentees, parents and head teachers talk about the impact Urban Synergy has made on hundreds of young people already.